Nagasaki Angel"This miraculously salvaged sculpture previously adorned a cathedral in Nagasaki, Japan. It was destroyed when the bomber B-29
dropped an atomic plutonium bomb on August 9th, 1945. Called “The Nagasaki Angel”,
this fragment was donated to UNESCO in 1976, in Paris, on the occasion
of its 30th anniversary. This angel is a symbol of Peace and hope in
Humanity's future. (information from the UNESCO webpage) (Photo by Martha)
at the head of the Japanese garden, this statue (0.40 m), originally on
the facade of from destruction by the explosion of the atomic bomb that was dropped
on Nagasaki on August 9, 1945.
gift from the town of Nagasaki in 1976 for the celebration of UNESCO's
A plaque in the Parc Monceau, the 8th arrondissement, commemorating the first descent by parachute on October 22nd, 1797. Andrea-Jacques Garnerin (1769-1823) jumped from a hot air balloon and landed in the park by parachute!