Friday, August 10, 2018

DAY 27 VILLADANGOS DEL PARAMO

Day 27 and I'm in Villadangos del Paramo about 13 miles east of Leon. Left there at 5:30 am this morning and was never without pilgrims in sight in both directions.  Unusual but a pilgrim slowed to walk with me and I picked up my normal gait and he was very impressed with how well I really can walk when motivated... 20 minute miles.  We walked up and down the hills leaving Leon until I asked for a break for breakfast 4 hours after we  started.  I knew he was losing time and he had many more miles to walk today than I did.  I've taken photos of the pages showing distance and hills for the past week to help those that are interested see what this is all about.  Colin was 67 years old and in good condition.   Two funny stories; we both have problems with drippy noses.. but only when walking?
And at one point suddenly  he said,  he really would like to pack it up and go home but coming back to finish is too long of a trip.  We all envy the Europeans who do it a week at a time.  I reminded him that we all question our sanity and reasons why... but that's all part of the journey.
I was in a large convent last night in Leon...I was so blessed to be there.  There is something special about all of the volunteers who give up time in their lives to help pilgrims complete their journey.  Jenn is in a religious house tonight and has a short walk in Santiago tomorrow.  Hope you enjoy the extra photos of flowers today... the trail was filled on both sides and I couldn't resist sharing. Buen Camino

No comments: