Sunday, August 9, 2015

11TH WEEK OF TRAINING

The the time is near, and in just two days I'll be leaving for Spain. On Friday morning I joined a family friend Laura Curran for a hike into the Chino Hills. We went from 490 feet to 1456 feet in elevation. Definitely the highest hiking I've done in the last 2 months. It was 7.88 miles in 3 hours but I must admit I did not carry my backpack. Chino Hills is a state park created by mandate when they wanted to put an airport on the site back in the 1970s.   This park creates a natural boundary for the north east side of our city of Yorba Linda and has provided a wonderful place for me to train for my upcoming journey.
I hiked a total of 43.5 miles last week. I carried my backpack on almost all of those miles. I started on Monday with the long one of 11.28 miles on Tuesday it was only 5.75 miles. I stretched a little further on Wednesday with 7.2 miles and on Thursday it was 9.24 miles. After my long hike on Friday I did a spin around the lake of two miles just to work out the kinks. I'm taking today off and tomorrow I will try and get out and take some short little walks around the lake to keep the muscles moving. My flight leaves LAX at 6 a.m. on  Tuesday morning.
Thanks for the wonderful advice Leslie about drinking lots of fluids during my trip. I haven't had sodas for about 5 years now and about 2 months ago I stopped drinking coffee so I'm strictly a water drinker and some wine now and then. So yes I not only get up and exercise every half hour or so on the airplane I am a good water drinker also. Keep me in your prayers and I'll try to keep you posted as often as possible. Buen Camino


1 comment:

Leslie in Oregon said...

Buen Camino, Martha. Don't worry about posting while you are en route...use the time to rest and enjoy where you are. I have no doubt that your pilgrimage will be amazing and inspiring, in every way you seek. Blue skies and every other best wish, Leslie