Monday, September 3, 2018

DAY 52 LIRES

Day 52 and I'm in a small village called Lires, half way to Finesterre.   It was raining when I got up this morning, so I was glad I'd made a decision yesterday to take the truck with my pack transport.  Sometimes you can get a ride with them but not always.  Paid a fee but probably not as much as a taxi would have cost. But it was 12:30 before they arrived to pick me up.  I'd been warned yesterday that they could arrive anytime between 8 and 1.  But I'm here... the sun is now shining and I'm having a freshly made Spanish omelet for lunch.  And I had a nice familiar place to wait in comfort.
CORRECTION:  I was wrong about the large stone with the crack... married couples like to pose for photos there but it actually commemorates the  70,000 gallons of oil that were spilled in this area by the ship Prestige in 2002.  And the fact that the citizens came from far and wide to clean the rocky coastline. And, the rough seas helped also. 
That said I watched our group of 21 teenagers head out this morning towards Finesterre, they will stop half way and camp even though more rain is predicted for tomorrow.  I've decided rain or not I'm going to walk the last ten miles tomorrow.  I have a fantastic raincoat and the terrain is rather level compared to today's.  It Will be fun to finish on my feet.
Buen Camino

No comments: